As the specialized agency of the African Union responsible for Civil Aviation matters in Africa, enhancement of Environmental protection in Africa is one of the Strategic Objectives of AFCAC.
Aviation industry is global in nature and therefore environmental impacts are global. AFCAC recognizes that Environmental Protection in Africa will be achieved through;
- Cooperation and collaboration with aviation stakeholders and states in development of standards.
- Assisting member States to develop their respective States’ Action Plans in collaboration with ICAO.
- Encouraging States to modernize their Air Traffic Management systems including Performance Based Navigation (PBN)
- Encouraging African airlines to acquire more environment friendly aircraft by taking advantage of the provisions of the Cape Town Convention and Protocol (Cape Town Convention on International Interests in Mobile Equipment)
- Urging States to take measures to reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions and manage the environmental impacts of aviation (Noise and Emission).
AFCAC continues to support African States to pursue all aviation matters related to environmental protection with a strong commitment to ICAO's leadership on the matter.
Focus areas are;
- Climate Change
ICAO’s two aspirational goals for the international aviation sector;
- 2% annual fuel efficiency improvement through 2050.
- Carbon neutral growth from 2020 onwards (CNG 2020).
To achieve the goals;
- Aircraft related technology and standards improvement.
- Improved Air traffic management and operational improvements.
- Development and deployment of sustainable aviation fuels.
- CORSIA – (Global Market Based Measure to offset international aviation CO2 emissions)
- CORSIA implementation
- State action plan development
- Air Quality