The African Civil Aviation Commission (AFCAC) under the aegis of the African Union Commission (AUC) and in cooperation with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) is organizing a High-Level Conference on the Improvement of Search and Rescue (SAR) Services. The Conference will take place in Lome, Togo from 10-12 April, 2017.
The main objective of the High-Level Conference on SAR is to sensitize decision makers in African States on the need among others to establish or maintain effective SAR services, provide an opportunity for the coordination of SAR Memorandum of Understand (MOU), Letters of Agreement (LoAs) between the States and encourage more Multilateral Agreements.
Bringing together the Decision Makers of SAR Services in the continent, the High Level SAR Conference will be a forum to raise awareness at the highest level and to obtain the commitment of States to implement the Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) of Annex 12 of the Chicago Convention.
Furthermore, the High-Level Conference supports the Search and Rescue (SAR) Organization project of the Comprehensive Regional Implementation Plan for Aviation Safety in Africa (AFI Plan).
The outcomes of the Conference include inter alia:
- Adoption of a Declaration and Targets for the improvement of the provision of SAR Services in Africa;
- Adoption of a SAR Project to be managed by AFCAC aimed at assisting AFCAC member States to implement national SAR plan, legislation, regulations, manuals, etc.;
- Adoption of a fund raising mechanism with Partners willing to contribute to an effective implementation of a SAR Project aimed at enhancing SAR organizational structure in the AFCAC member States; and
- Endorsement of Models of SAR Regulatory Texts and SAR National and Regional Plans, national SAR Legislation.
To discuss the issues related to the improvement of SAR in Africa, African States, AFCAC Partners, International Organizations such as IATA, AFRAA, ACI, CANSO, major joint aeronautical and maritime coordination and rescue centres from other Regions have been invited to the High-Level Conference, to present their views, best practices and experiences.
The Provisional Agenda, the Information Bulletin and the Registration Form can be downloaded from the indicated links;
- Online Registration
- Registration File (pdf)
- Work Programme (pdf)
- Information Bulletin (pdf)
- Accreditation (www)